Monday, July 2, 2012

Happy 4th Birthday Lydia (aka Rapunzel)

Ok, so this has been the hang up in my blogging lately. I have very few pics from Lydia's birthday party at the beach because my camera died in the middle of it. So, I will post this and maybe come back later and post the pics I can get from mom! Lydia wanted a Rapunzel birthday this year, so before leaving for the beach I was sure to pack up her Rapunzel dress, as well as some other princess dresses and picked up some "Tangled" decor. Harbin was worried that she couldn't have all her friends at her party (one of those bummers about a summer bday while on vacation) but as you can see from the pics, we had lots of kids around and it was a GREAT party. She wanted to wear a Rapunzel braid wig, so I had found a little tutorial online and attempted to make one out of yarn. I think it came out well, but my plans to make one for each of the girl quickly went out the window when I realized how difficult it was to braid all of that yarn without it getting "Tangled" (pun intended). Christina and I did, however, work diligently to make the coolest Rapunzel cake ever. Ok, well the coolest-I-am-not-a-cake-decorator cake ever. We used ice cream cones, melted candies and cupcakes to form the cake and then we just PRAYED that it wouldn't fall down before she blew out her candles. Lydia has grown a lot from 3 to 4. She is definitely exhibiting her personality and seems much harder to "read" than my other kids. She is SUPER smart, like amazingly brilliant and her ability to pick up on school tasks is amazing. Like, when we're adding she doesn't really think it out...she just kind of knows the answer. She also has a great sense of humor and has kept us laughing a lot these days. She is very serious so sometimes her humor is tough to get because it's so advanced for her age. In fact, she is the reason I started to keep up with all the funny quotes the kids say. Lydia also has a way of kind of being the "boss" in some areas. She's not really bossy, just very concerned, like the time I was driving and she told me to watch out for Deers and Choo-Choo Trains. She also likes to remind me not to speed when there's cops around and to only drive as fast as the speed limit will let me. We made multiple ER visits with Lydia this year, but mostly because we have learned that she is allergic to ALL NSAIDS. That means that she can't take Ibuprofen, Advil, Mortin, Tylenol, Aspirin or pretty much any fever reducer. Her poor little face just swells up like a balloon. We now have an Epi-Pen and have visited the allergist, but unfortunately there is nothing to do about the allergy. So, hopefully she will grow out of it and one day will tolerate at least one of the pain/fever reducers! This year she has defintiely mastered swimming and can jump off the diving board, go down the slide and swim like the big kids. She enjoys princesses, especially Rapunzel, and loves playing dress up. She is a great big sister to Ella and is always helping her and teaching her. She still has an incredible bond with Catherine and even though their personalities are very different, I know they will remain best friends. Happy Birthday, my Lydi-Lou! Love Mom and Dad

No comments: