Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A visit to Florida







It has been almost 3 years since we have been down to Naples to visit Grandma Sue, Aunt Angela and Uncle Jonas, so we decided to take a vacation down there the week before Memorial Day. Scott was able to take the days off of work and we all traveled down for a nice relaxing vacation.

The kids did wonderful on the very long car ride. They entertained themselves with reading books, singing and eventually I even gave in and let them watch a movie (for those of you who don't know me, I am anti-TV in the car unless it's a long trip- I guess 10 hours counts as a long trip :)

We arrived in Florida in the middle of the night, but the kids didn't miss a beat waking up that morning ready to play! We enjoyed the pool and visited the beach a few times. This was Ella's first time at the beach and she seemed to enjoy eating the shells. She wasn't as big of a fan of the waves and water, but she didn't seem to mind crawling in the sand or getting sandy (much like Lydia was at this age).

My Uncle Alex (not to be confused with Scott's brother-aka the kid's Uncle Alex) came down from Michigan for a few days. We had fun getting to hang out with him and play with him in the pool and Scott enjoyed his company for his morning runs.

The older kids had a blast playing with my cousins Dominick and Samantha. Dominick is about 18 months older than Harbin and they had fun playing in the pool a few days in a row. Harbin was able to pick up swimming just like he did last summer and was jumping off the diving board, going down the slide and swimming everywhere. Catherine was very fearful this year and didn't want to get in the "deep" ever without her swimmies. She wouldn't go off the diving board and it was like torture to get her to jump off the edge. Lydia became quite the swimmer while we were down there and even though she can't come up for air by herself yet, she could jump off the diving board and swim to the ladder. She would get so worn out doing that over and over and over again!!!

If you notice, I don't have nearly as many pics as normal and that's not because I was too lazy to upload them. My camera was stolen out of my van the day before we left for Florida, so unfortuntely I only had Harbin's camera to use. It's a very nice camera, but I was not nearly as talented at using it as my old camera and a lot of my pics weren't that great. We did, however, have the opportunity to get some professional family pictures taken and I have put a link on the right hand side so you can see those. The sun was very hot and bright that day, so it was a little bit of a rough photo shoot, but the kids behaved well and I think we got a few good shots of all of us.

More summer pics and post to come...
The mom.

No comments: